What You Need to Know About Microdosing THC
When Dr. Allan Frankel was told that he had six months to live due to advanced cancer, he sought cannabis therapy for relief. Working with AIDS and cancer patients in cannabis medicine, he found that many of them experienced health benefits from small doses. Frankel stated, "It gave me something to look forward to, my brain was turned on."
The concept of microdosing isn't new, but it only recently gained popularity with medical marijuana patients. If you're wondering how you can benefit from this practice, read below for a few things you need to know to get started.
Changing World of Cannabis Use
Cannabis use has changed dramatically over the years. Originally grown as a hallucinogen over 2,000 years ago, the Indian hemp plant would set the stage for the industry that we see today. Some are using medical cannabis to manage chronic pain, regulate their moods, or boost creativity. Many have found that reaching this "sweet spot" can relieve stress, anxiety and tension.
What Is Microdosing?
As Dr. Frankel suggested, taking the minimum effective dose is the ideal way to administer any medication - and that's exactly what microdosing is. For individuals looking for therapeutic relief from several physical and mental conditions, microdosing THC can provide positive results while minimizing some of the effects that cannabis can induce. Microdosing is commonly associated with hallucinogenic drugs, such as LSD and mushrooms.
Microdosing cannabis can be done in a variety of ways, from consuming tinctures to smoking out of dry herb vaporizers such as the DynaVap.
Tips on How to Microdose THC
If you're new to microdosing, the best advice is to go "low and slow." Microdosing is all about delivering small and targeted doses of THC to provide relief through cannabis product without unwanted side effects. Dosing can be tricky so it's best to give yourself time to feel the full effects before using a higher dose.
Microdosing can be done in a variety of different ways, so let's take a moment to learn a few tips and tricks to break things down.
- Microdose With Small Edibles - Dispensaries sell edibles that come in packaging ranging from 1mg of THC all the way to 100mg of THC. Microdosing with small edibles can be an ideal way to consume a lower dose and achieve a desirable effect. Start slow and with a low dose, raising your intake until you reach your comfort level. Most microdosing edibles are around 5mg.
- Try Sublingual Activation - Microdosing can be a great way to find almost instant relief in a variety of settings. One of the quickest ways to feel the positive effects of microdosing is by utilizing sublingual activation through a THC tincture. THC tinctures are easy to use and even easier to make last.
- Reach For A Cannabis Tonic - We mentioned sublingual activation and edibles, but what about THC-laden drinks? THC Tonics have grown increasingly popular as an alternative to traditional alcohol. Additionally, THC beverages are a great way to enjoy microdosing THC with controlled, tasty allotments.
- Try a Dry Herb Vaporizer - Handheld cannabis vaporizers have become one of the most popular methods of consumption in the cannabis world. These discreet vaporizers are ideal for when individuals need a quick dose without fuss.
What to Remember When Microdosing THC
Microdosing THC is ideal for individuals looking to attain relief from a variety of symptoms. Whether you are looking to improve functionality during the day by reducing stress or you simply want to walk with a bounce in your step, there are a few things you will want to know.
- Start Slow - Most microdosing enthusiasts will opt for edibles or tinctures, two methods of consumption that can lead to uncomfortable highs. Start with truly low doses before raising your intake to prevent negative side effects.
- Try Different Methods - Everyone reacts to THC in their own way. Try different methods of cannabis consumption to ensure you are maximizing the efficacy of your microdosing products.
While there have been many advancements in the world of cannabis, one of the most fascinating is microdosing. Microdosing cannabis originated out of the practice of Dr. Allan Frankel. Dr. Frankel used his positive experience with cannabis to study the potential benefits of small doses of THC. Frankel stated, "You look for the minimum effective dose, period."
Does Microdosing Work For Everyone?
Microdosing cannabis can occasionally be a frustrating task. THC and CBD, as well as many of the other prominent compounds found in cannabis, support the function of our endocannabinoid system. These systems can vary from one person to the next, depending on their weight, diet, lifestyle, and genetic background. As a result, every person may have a different path to wellness.
Microdosing expert Dr. Dustin Sulak states, "I can't tell you your perfect dose, but I can teach you how to find it for yourself." Experts can show you how to achieve better results and the greatest reduction in pain and unwanted medical conditions.
Benefits of Microdosing Cannabis
Many doctors who practice cannabis medicine provide effective treatment for patients living with chronic illness or pain with a combination of traditional treatment and medical cannabis. THC does more than just pain relief and users don't need a high dose to reap the benefits. The most common reasons people use microdosing is to manage depression, pain and anxiety. Microdosing is also a great way to ease yourself into the space if you are cautious to have ever had adverse effects with THC.
Let's highlight a few key advantages that cannabis consumption can provide.
- Minimum Effective Dose - Believe it or not, people utilize cannabis for medicinal reasons every single day - whether they have a medical card or not. For patients looking to attain relief without being overwhelmed by a psychoactive experience, microdosing THC can provide targeted support.
- Avoid Psychoactive Effects - If your goal is medicinal relief with psychoactive impact, microdosing THC can be the best path toward your stated outcome. Smaller amounts of THC will stimulate the body and mind instead of simply masking those feelings behind psychoactive results. For novice consumers or individuals with low tolerance, this can be a life-changing source of support.
- Therapeutic Benefits - Anyone who lives with chronic pain or an anxiety disorder knows how exhausting it can be. Daily discomfort or worrying are damaging to your mental and physical wellbeing. Cannabis medicine has been shown to provide calming effects and relief from symptoms like racing thoughts, trouble sleeping, lack of focus, agitation, and excessive worrying.
Which Method of Microdosing Works Best?
The world of microdosing THC is as wide and varied as any other aspect of cannabis use. Microdosing methods will range in effectiveness depending on the individual, so it may take some time and research to find your ideal dose. With that being said, here are a few of the best ways to begin microdosing THC!
- Edibles - Cannabis edibles are the most popular method of consumption for casual cannabis enthusiasts. Marijuana edibles can range in potency from 2.5 mg to 5 mg of THC. Start with a low dose and slowly raise your intake as you seek the optimal dose for your relief needs.
- Dry Herb Vaporizer - Smokable product provides relief faster than edibles or tinctures. If you need a quick fix for therapeutic purposes, this may be your best bet. Ideal for microdosing, vaporizing with a dry herb product will allow you to consume cannabis in the cleanest way possible without the use of combustion. Dry herb vaporizers are convenient and allow for multiple uses before changing flower is required.
- Tinctures - Finally, tinctures come in easy-to-dose containers that make it possible to dose very precisely. Sublingual absorption provides quick relief, allowing for individuals to quickly find their ideal dose. Effects are felt faster than with edibles because they enter the bloodstream faster.