What is Delta-8?
Delta-8 is a chemical compound found in trace amounts in cannabis and hemp plants that produce a psychoactive effect. Its popularity is on the rise in the U.S. cannabis industry, and you can find it in many THC and cannabis products.
Delta-8 vs. Delta-9: Some Similar Effects
While both Delta-8 and Delta-9 are forms of THC, they do not have the same concentrations or effects.
- Delta-8 and Delta-9 are both forms of THC.
- Both Forms of THC Will Produce Psychoactive Highs
There are similarities between Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 products, but their differences are more prevalent.
How Is Delta-8 Different From Normal Weed?
Delta-8 THC product contains a range of cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. Its psychoactive effect is lower than "normal" weed, with cannabinoid levels under 1%.
Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol and delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol overlap, but there are some key differences.
- Chemical Structure - The chemical structure of Delta-8 compared to Delta-9 varies in small amounts but makes a big impact. Delta-8 is an isomer of Delta-9, with a similar molecular formula and different arrangements.
- Psychoactive Effects - While more psychoactive than a CBD product, Delta-8 products offer a lower level of psychoactive impact. Delta-8 does not induce the same level of paranoia or euphoria associated with traditional cannabis.
- Clear Head - Delta-8 product will produce a notable high that is calm, relaxing, and clear-headed. Without THC as the primary active ingredient, consumers of Delta-8 can find some measure of mental and physical pain relief without the adverse effects associated with weed. Conventional cannabis products contain more psychoactive substances of Delta-9 THC, leaving some users with an unclear mind.
Will Delta-8 Get You High?
Yes, it will cause a high. Delta-8 THC is much more relaxed, calm, and clear-headed, while Delta-9 is more intense. However, tolerances vary, and the impact changes from one person to the next.
What Does The High Feel Like?
If you've enjoyed cannabis before, you might expect something like the delta-9 high. Described by most consumers as a 'light version' of weed, delta-8 truthfully is just a mild version of its more popular cannabinoid cohort.
A Delta-8 high typically includes some of the following effects.
- Floaty feelings of weightlessness
- Improved levels of focus and energy
- Mellow and Mentally Relaxed Vibe
- Appetite Stimulation
- No Brain Fog
Delta-8 THC products give a relaxed state without negative effects like fogginess. Effects are dose-dependent and should be approached as such accordingly. Smaller doses of delta-8 THC can provide subtle energy and mood elevation boost, while higher doses can become sedating while focusing more on pain relief.
How Long Does The High Last?
Delta-8 THC is comparable to Delta-9 THC in many ways, though the longevity of the high will be markedly different. A THC-induced high can last anywhere between two and eight hours, depending on the substances consumed and their method of consumption. A THC edible, for example, can last easily over six hours.
The best way to measure the length of a Delta-8 high is by sorting the information by dosage.
- Digested Edibles - Delta-8 edibles can take up to two hours before their effects kick in. Edibles will traditionally peak in three hours before tapering off. The entire Delta-8 edible experience should last between 6 and 8 hours.
- Delta 8 Tincture - Sublingual activation leads to the quickest onset experience, traditionally in under 30 minutes. Tinctures are also relatively steady as highs go, lasting upwards of five hours.
- Vaporizing Delta-8 - Utilize a Delta-8 vaporizer to enjoy the onset of effects within 15 minutes. The human body will roughly metabolize substances in 15 minutes, providing a high that lasts upwards of three hours.
Tolerance, body type, and cannabinoid systems will all impact how hard and long the high from Delta-8 THC will last. There are no hard and fast rules for tolerance and longevity, so approach each session with the intent of assessing your tolerance as you go.
Can You Smoke Delta-8?
Yes, Delta-8 can be smoked or consumed like a traditional cigarette or cannabis product. Delta-8 THC can be added to a vaporizer or rolled into a handheld smoke. Traditionally, the most popular method of Delta-8 THC consumption has been through the oral edible form, including gummies.
How Safe Is Delta-8?
As long as you purchase from reliable, safe sources, they are considered safe in limited doses. Delta-8 THC can provide a wealth of benefits not just to our minds but to our bodies, as well. The team at WebMD suggests that there are some mild adverse effects, including:
- Fast Heart Rate
Individuals experiencing an adverse reaction to Delta-8 products should consult a medical physician.
Benefits of Delta-8
While there is still much in the way of research to be done, preliminary reports suggest that it provides modest benefits when consumed appropriately.
Considered a middle ground between CBD and conventional Delta-9 THC products, Delta-8 can provide the best of both worlds.
- Enjoy a Smoother Experience - Delta-9 THC can leave you anxious and paranoid. Delta-8 is a great alternative for individuals that need a lower potency option to meet their wellness needs. Considered roughly 50% to 70% the strength of delta-9 THC, delta-8 certainly earns its 'Diet Weed' moniker.
- Stimulate Your Appetite - Appetite stimulation is one of the most sought-after recreational and medicinal cannabis use benefits. Delta-8 THC provides an appetite boost twice as strong, according to some reports, as traditional Delta-9. Individuals struggling with appetite reduction can introduce Delta-8 to their diet.
- Boost Brain Health - Scientists are fascinated by the potential benefits that delta-8 THC can bring to the human brain. Delta-8 THC can help inhibit adenylyl cyclase while regulating the central nervous system's calcium and potassium channels. These beneficial brain-boosting elements can potentially prove helpful in treating degenerative disorders like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease.
- Get Better Rest at Night - Cannabis has been a sought-after sleep aid for countless years and Delta-8 THC is following suit. Delta-8 provides a sedative experience that enhances stress relief, euphoria, and other uplifting effects to help mood and slumber.
- Benefits to the Digestive System - Delta-8 can remedy nausea and vomiting. Delta 8-THC can provide smooth antiemetic properties while lowering both paranoia and anxiety. Many researchers believe that Delta-8 THC can relieve cancer therapy side effects.
- Pain Relief - Perhaps the most appealing aspect of Delta-8 THC is that it can provide pain relief better than some other cannabinoids. THC has been shown in studies to provide relief for chronic pain, inflammation, arthritis, neuropathy, and even multiple sclerosis. Except for the intensity of the high, Delta-8 THC and Delta-9 THC both offer exceptional pain relief support.
Is Delta-8 Legal?
THC exists in a legal grey area. Delta-8 is extracted from hemp products or hemp-derived CBD, a legal plant to farm throughout the United States. The 2018 Farm Bill makes hemp and cannabis products legal if delta-9 concentrations are under 0.3%.
For more information on the legality of Delta-8, refer to your state's specific laws.